Thursday, April 19, 2012

Hebdon line


THE HEBDON LINE
            In 1985, Aug my father received a package from Brigadier and Mrs. C Hebdon who lives in England.  This letter was addressed to my father Truman DeWard Hebdon, who lived in Idaho Falls, Idaho.  I Truman R Hebdon received these papers when my father died, they were stored away without looking at them until now.  While cleaning up my storage I discovered these papers which contain historical information about the Hebdon line.  Most of the correspondence was copied from old memograph copies that were very hard to read.  I have re-typed these documents to the best of my ability. They were smudge and dark and difficult to make out in many areas.  The following is the original letter and materials.  I do not know if my father corresponded with Cyril Hebdon or not. The following is the letter amd much of the information that was sent to dad.
If anyone reads this information on the Hebdon line and would like to correspond with me it would be welcomed.  At this time you can reach me at tghebdon1@yahoo.com.

Mr. Truman Deward Hebdon
Idaho Falls, Idaho

Dearest Kinsman
This will doubtless come as a surprise to you, my writing from England. I only hope that it reaches you alright.
I received some little time ago 2 Hebdon Pedigrees which interested me immensely & I determined to write to you, as your name appeared on one of them.  Without doubt you are related to quite a wide family in England.  We are all decedents of Joseph & Malinda Hebdon.
The enclosed Hebdon ancestry may be known to you, for they were very important people.  I hope you will enjoy it all.
I myself am descended from, Isaac, the 2nd. Son of Joseph and Malinda, whilst you are from James R the eldest.  There are also many from Samuel the 3rd. Son
There are also some discrepancies in your pedigree as shown in dates etc.  You will find various certificates and official documents to correct some of them.
I have been in touch with Floyd Enos Hebdon in Salt Lake City and we have had an interesting contact. Indeed, I have linked a family through Samuels line to Floyd, as this family is visiting their daughter in Salt Lake City. So the English family line will be visiting Floyd at the end of August.  How is that for a little bit of History?
I should like to know something of the James Ritter Organization if possible. It would be a kindness if you would let me know this material has arrived.
With kindest regards
Cyril Hebdon




THE HEBDON FAMILY FRIENDSHIP LINK 106 Alexandra Road, Farnborough, Hants. Oct, 1972

You will doubtless be quite surprised to receive this from me, especially as I am a perfect stranger to most of you.  What I am doing is unique in England, but is a practice among some Scottish clans.  Perhaps we can join to make a little bit of history.

The Hebdon name is fairly uncommon- there are many Hebdens, and other derivations, but our family name is fairly select.  I have spent quite a lot of time in what research I could, and also have a list of all of us on the phone in the British Isles.  We are about 80 at present, of course there are many more not on the phone that I do not know about, perhaps your would pass on word to them.  It would be a very happy friendly arrangement   to get to know a little about each other.  It might well link up a few separate links in family circles.  I would be well pleased if you wanted to be part.

KNOWN HISTORY,    It is fairly well established that all the HEBDON’S have their original roots in Yorkshire.  Many of you will not know this.  It is interesting to note that the majority of us still have our roots there.  During the centuries, families have moved away, and now our whereabouts stretch from Brighton and London and Walton-on Thames in the South, to places such as Easingwold, Goole, Hull, Middlesboro’ in Yorkshire, with somewhat lonelier pockets in such places as Bishops Cleave, Nr. Gloucester, derby, and Torquay etc.

COAT OF ARMS.   There is a Hebdon Coat of Arm(very ornate) from the time John Hebdon was knighted in the 1500's (formerly of Yorkshire is recorded0.  I found this by absolute coincidence (or guidance) quite an amazing story in WELLS Cathedral, Somerset, when I was on a holiday.   There is a tombstone on the floor, and an ornate monument in the cloisters wall ( the first one in the cloisters).  I have photographs of these taken by a local Wells photographer.  It was a reasonably expensive business as permission is needed, however now the photographer has the negative he might do others for any who make a request to me.  I will give you the entries form the ancient book at Wells.  The Hebdon’s were friendly with the Czar of Russia and made a fortune trading with Muscovy (Moscow).  He was knighted for bringing this trade to England.

  (The following was among the papers sent to my father DeWard Hebdon.)
(The Great Sovereign, Tzar and Grand Prince, Aleksei Mixhailovic, Autocrat of all Great and Little and White Russia, Tsar of Moscow,  Kiev, it goes on listing 25 + different lands and countries that he is either the Tzar, or grand prince or heir from his father and grandfather + many other states and lands eastern, western, and northern.
To the Netherlands and Dutch lands and the gentry of other principalities, to the honorable authorities united in them, greetings, and he, the Great Sovereign, ordered me the faithful agent of his Tsarist Majesty, the great Sovereign’s Tsarist Majesty, to the honorable authorities to submit this charter of the Great Sovereign, his Tsarist center, and that  the honorable authorities take it, esteeming such of the Great Sovereign, his Tsarist Majesty and in accordance with this charter, accept me, the Great Sovereign’s his Tsarist Majesty’s , agent so that that old and good force which was of old between the Great Sovereign, His Tsarist Majesty and and the honorable authorities, as well as the trade between their subjects, should in the future hold firm. To this his speech, the Great Sovereign, his Tsarist Majesty’s faithful agent, Ivan, son of Ivan Hebdon, put his hand.) (This Sir John died.  His son John was asked if he would like to take his fathers place as the Kings agent to Russia, John (Junior) accepted.  Whilst in Russia, the Tsar asked him to take his fathers place as the kings agent to Russia. John Jr. Accepted.  Whilst in Russia, the Tsars asked him if he would also be his agent to Holland.  This also was accepted and the above were the Letters Patent he had to take to the Dutch government from the Tzar.  As Ivan is the Russian form of John- where it says Ivan, you must read John.)  (This was probably part of the reason they were knighted, as this would have been a gret service to the King of  England.)_
 WELLS CATHEDRAL-ITS DESCRIPTIONS AND HERALDRY, 9 JEWERS 1892
Page 34 Hebdon-an elaborate Coat of Arms which you would need to get a heals to describe.  It has a quarter moon pointing upwards at the fesse point and is divided into four. Two of the quarters containing 3 moons each.  This is enough to identify it.  Inscription on Tomb “Here lyeth the body of Richard Hebdon gent. Son of Sir John Hebdon knight who dyed the 22 day of January in the year of our Lord 1668.  (Extract fro register confirms date)

Page 233. The arms are repeated for a monument  in the cloisters and described:- 1 & 4.  Erm. Five  lozenges in fessgn, Hebdon (ancient) . 2&3 Erm. On a chief indented az three Crescents or Hebdon granted march 28 May 1659 by Sir Edmund Walker to Sir John Hebdon.  And his brother Thomas.  On the center a crescent Gold. The difference of a second son LeNeve says Sir John was knighted at Whitehall 30 May 161663. Was agent to the Czar of Russia and made his fortune in Muscovy by trade. He was son of John Hebdon citizen of London (son of John Hebdon of Yorkshire.)  And had two sons named on the monument, which also names this Richard as being buried in tn the South Crosse Ile.  This would seem to prove John Hebdon married Ellen daughter of Sir John Jacob of Bromley Middlesex.  ( this is the end of the excerpts about the coat of arms of Sir John Hebdon. )

 If any of you call in at Wells Cathedral, stand with your back to the Baptismal Font in the South  Transept, looking towards the High Alter.  About eight paces slightly to the right of you in the floor are two Black Tombstones, one of these is the family Vault.  Also in the cloisters outside you will find on the Wall the monument   (It is the first, or the last according to which end of the cloisters you enter).

ABOUT THE WRITER    I AM ORIGINALLY FROM Goole, in Yorkshire.  My father (Isaac) is buried there.  My grandfather is buried at Hook, Nr. Goole.  I understand that his father before him is buried at Patring, Nr. Withernsea, Yorkshire.  My people have had links with the Waterways around the Humber and the Ouse..there are off shoots of the family at Bingley, Yorkshire.  I am a Salvation Army Brigadier, and am working with H.M. Forces.  I have a brother Sydney (a skipper) and two sisters Lucy and Lilian, the first at Morecambe, Lancs. And the other still in the Goole area.  I have a daughter at Morecambe.

FOR THE FUTURE.    What we do about this for the future depends on whether you write to me.  If you want a link letter from time to time.  I should like to give short biographies of some of you..I would like to hear about your remotest links.   I should like to have a list of all the names and numbers, so that if you were passing through a town..a little friendly phone call to say ‘How do”.   A friendly hand all around.  It may be possible to have odd get-together at some centers.  I travel a good bit, and would be glad to give a handshake.  Would this appeal to you?  You may renew links long lost.  I am willing to be the focal point for the time being.  I can only decide what to do, if you write me with your reactions.. So do it now.. Don’t delay.

Greetings to you all, and bless you.      Yours faithfully,   CYRIL HEBDON

11 Durley Av., pinner. Middlesex, June 1, 1973

THE HEBDON FAMILY FRIENDSHIP LINK.(2ND. CIRCULAR)

My dear friend,
It is now some little time since I last wrote to you.  A change of work within the organization I serve, has brought new responsibilities a lot of travel is involved, and time as been a premium.  With the new work has come a change of address will you please note this.  My personal greetings to you all.

The renewing of links.  One of the pleasures, has been to link up some separate members of families- a few have been put in touch.  I had a cousin personal, who I didn’t know existed, who wrote to me, Greeting Alf.)  It has been a miniature missing persons Bureau.  I feel this little venture has been wort while.

Wells.  A few have been to Wells, to see the old tomb and monument.  I am glad my instructions on finding these were easy to follow.  Some have requested photographs.  To get to the two costs about 60 p. they were a bit expensive to get, as it needed permission, and professional photography.

New items.   I am told over the phone, that a lot of the military land a Ceterach Camp, was once a Hebdon farmland.
I am also told that a number of Hebdon’s are buried in Burnlry church at Kettlewell. Yorks.  Have a look at the back of the Font. Can anybody up there verify this?
I understand that Mrs Kitty Cook (Nee Hebdon) has an ancient family tree.  Can you send me a copy Kitty?  A photostat would only be 5p.  Also any information with it.
Eric Hebdon,(Burnley) has a coat of Arms made by a firm who specialize in these.  Can we have a drawing of this Eric?  We would love to compare with the Wells one..Also note Margaret Hebdon’s letter later on in this Circular.  Any links here?

Snippets from letters.
Henry Hebdon, (Torquay) I was aware that the name was of Yorkshire origin, but I wonder if you know of its original beginning I an old English word meaning The Valley when the hips grow?

Edward Hebdon, ( Ruislip) is now a neighbor of mine, and we have a few talks over the phone and hope to have a coffee with him soon.  An interesting letter and family tree.

Joseph Hebdon, (Louth), I remember my late uncle saying that my grandfather came from a village Nr. Bridlington.  He claimed to have traced the family records back to the 15th. Century.  He also said that an early Hebdon had eloped with the Squires daughter.  Can anyone give a line on this village?  Joseph’s grandparents lived in Washington, or Heighington Nr. Lincoln, and had two sons who were William & James.

Margaret Hebdon.  (Royton), says her husband Eric was born in Shaw. Lancs, and his father Samuel had links with Goole.  Yorks the family seems to have spread to Millom and Burnley where some were in the Police Force.  Margaret and Eric knew of the tomb at Wells.

Mrs Olive Hebdon, says her husband a military Captain was ill for 26 years owing to the war.  Before he passed over.  He had links with Driffield.  Another part of the family went to South sea.  Portsmouth are, in the hopes of tracing the family history back a little....my father moved form there to Leeds.

Keith Hebdon,   (Harrogate) says I myself was born, and have lived most of my life in Yorkshire, and I believe my grandfather came from York.

Victor Hebdon, son Margaret above, says “ I had intended at some time to make investigations in the Driffield area, in the hopes of tracing the family history back a little... my father moved fro there to Leeds.

Matthew Hebdon (Whitley Bay) says, I remember traveling to Easingwold just before the War, so that my grandfather could visit there.  My father and brother died in Sunderland.  He has links with Walton-on- Thames.

Walter Hebdon (London S.E. 5) writes an interesting letter, but only knows of London links, with`
Annie Hebdon , (Middleton-inTeesdale), writes for her brother George, and tells me her father was Thompson Hindmarsh Hebdon, and they have links in the Darlington area.

Stanley Hebdon. ( Liverpool) writes a most interesting letter with notes about his father who could speak Russian fluently.  He has links with Richmond, Yorks.  He tells me his father was born in Leeds.  He writes of a meeting he had once with a Mr. Hebden in Halifax Yorks.  Who had produced a family tree for the Hebdon-Hebden-D’ebdon-D’ebden-Ebdon-Ebden parts of the family name.  He says ‘one fact which made me very proud was of the reference to our family name - Hebdon) appearing in the Domesday book in the year 998.  The old man in Harrogate informed me that there were several tombs and graves in Warfedale and Ripon Cathedral to various knights and other nobility with our family name.
(I have been to Ripon, but cannot find any tombs with our name Stanley.  The library was closed on the day I was in ‘Ripon so could not enquire.  Can anybody up there find out about Ripon Tombs?  Also I am sure that the old man in Harrogate had his date wrong in the Doomsday book. This book was commissioned by William the Conqueror, and as he did not come until 1066 any entry could not have been before at least 1068... however one day I shall go to the records office in London, and try and check the Domesday record-C.H.)  Thanks for that very interesting letter Stanley
PATRINGTON, You will recall that last circular I thought that the village of Patrington might be a village of some of our forebears.  The parish Priest has been most kind and without charge has looked up records...unfortunately no trace of the name.

Greetings to you all, and bless you.      Yours faithfully,
CYRIL HEBDON






Shortly after the Norman Conquest. A Norman named Sir Roger de Mowbray, gave to Uchtred, son of Dolphyn ‘Wapentake’ (gift of land) sitiated in Warfedal at the village of Hebden the date was possible 1140.  This village is still in existence.  You will find it just north of Ikley and Skipton, about 6 miles north of Bolton Abbey.  It is a most beautiful scenary and surroundings.  The name means Rose hill or Bramble valley.  It was here that Uchtred settled. He took the name of the village and became the Hebdon of Hebden.  All who carry the name of Hebden or Hebdon can pinpoint this spot as the place of their ancestry.  They became a very important family in that part of the world.  Hebden Bridge is linked.  They were patrons of Fountains Abbey and also as they spread became leading people in Ripon and Richmond and Catgterick and Pately Bridge.

Because there was no church in the village of Hebden, the family dead were carried in the river warfe on stepping stones and berried in the   nearby church at Burnsail.  It is here that you must go to see the history.  The church yard is full of Hebdon’s.  At the rear of the inside of the church is a large board which shows the patrons through the centauries.  You find Hebdon’s and Hebden’s and Ed Hebden’s all the same family.  One is William Hebdon in 1200's I think it can be assumed that the first Hebden coat of Arms was given to Sir Richard de Hebden, around 1346-48. It is regarded as the ancient Hebden coat of Arms. It is five losenges on a background of Ermine.  I carefully looked at the coat of arms displayed in the chancel of the church for there are several local families;   On the right hand wall is this coat of arms. In talking to the Rector, they did not know who it belonged to, and was delighted that I had given the church this information.  Among the other coats of Arms was that of the family of the Tempests and the Vanes,,, The Hebdens intermarried with these great families of England.

The Hebden/Hebdon’s seem to have been Royalist who were near the Royal house.  The gift of ermin in the coat of Arms, was usually the gift of the Monarch for services to the Crown.  And this in the Hebden one indicated that it was given for some duty to the crown. It would be fascinating   to find out what was done shortly after the Conquest when Saxon and Norman were learning to live together, perhaps someone one day will go to the expense of research here to the Heraldry Society.

There is a great deal of literature to be obtained to the influence of the ancient family in these two or three centuries.  Some books I give herewith, I am sure that your public library can get you them on free loan...

Place names of West Riding of Yorkshire AA.H. Smith) Page 101
Memorials of the Church at Ripon.  Surtees Soc.
The Ripon Chapter Acts.
Memorials of Fountains Abby.   3 Vols.
Ripon Military Records.,   Ripon St Peter and Wilford Suskee (?) Page 360

A lot of the above are in Latin, but much is in English.  There is a very interesting will of a Sir William. Hebden a Priest, that is worth reading.  He asked to be buried in the Choir of the church of Our Lady at Ripon.  I went to see the librarian at the library at Ripon.. A Mr. Pearson who was most kindly and heo0ful.. He told me that the church of St. Mary was destroyed some centuries ago.. Whilst the area of St Mary’s is known the actual site has not yet been found, though there has been excavation in the area to try and find it.
It is interesting to find that Richard Hebden a Presbyter at Fountains Abbey received a pension after the demolition of the monastery (page 302) Mems. Of Fountain Abbey.)

Also on Pages 345-6 T.R. Hebden was engaged in some sort of litigation.  There are three vol. Of this, and you will need to look at all three.  Three or four family names seem to persist,   John, William, Richard and Christopher.

There is every reason to believe that the family was mentioned in the Doomsday book, but this I have not verified as yet. We now pass on to the Hebdon’s

Somewhere in the 1500's a branch of the family who had moved, outwards because of business and trade began to spell the name Hebdon.  It could have been by some family feud, but more likely by illiteracy of the time which had so muddled the names, that it was a natural transition. Those who have had earlier circulars from me, will know that I had quite an experience when visiting Wells Cathedral a few years ago whilst on holiday in that part of the world.  I was looking at the nave and the roofing when my eyes were almost dragged to the floor, where I was standing and I was looking at an ancient floor slab with the name HEBDON. This was surmounted by a worn coat of Arms It recorded that here lay Richard Hebdon, the son of Sir John Hebdon who died Jan. 22nd. 1668.  If you are visiting Wells Cathedral in Somerset.  Stand with your back to the Baptismal font in the South side. Looking toward the alter . Slightly to your right
eight paces away , you will see on the floor of the aisle two black tombstone, the one on the alter side is the one to see. After a visit to the church historian Dr. Daik, he showed me the ancient record book Wells Cathedral- its inscriptions and Heraldry by Jewers.  (You can borrow this via your library) It gave the information that there was also a wall monument in the cloisters.  I found this in excellent repair, if you go into the choristers it is either the first, or the east, according to which door you use it is at the side of the door entrance It is also to Richard Hebdon, and gives the same coat of Arms. Look carefully, it is almost hidden.

The ancient book I have mentioned gives great information.  Again in the two different entries on page 34 and 233 one is given as Hebden and the other as Hebdon.  The tombstones are more reliable that entries by scribes.  We are told that this Richard was the second son of
Sir John Hebdon.  This Sir John was knighted by Charles 2nd. At Whitehall, 30th. May 1663.  He was agent to the Czar of Russia and made his fortune in Muscovy by trade (Jute and Hemp) Sir was son of John Hebdon of London, who was the son of John Hebdon of Yorkshire.  Richard was the one buried.  It would appear that it was not Sir John who put the tombstone and monument at Wells, but rather the first son also John who put them to his brother.  This first son married Lady Ellen Jacob of Bromley.

At first I did not realize the significance of this discovery.  The coat of Arms on the tombstone, and south Wells shown in the ancient book of Wells is quartered. And the 2nd.  And 3rd.  Quarters were the Coat of Arms given to his father Sir John Hebdon.  Also this had ermine, and was three crescent moons.  Also as I explained earlier. This was a grant for services to the
crown.  Sir John Hebdon had spent a fortune helping the Stuart cause.  At the time I had not found out about the ancient Hebden coat of Arms. Thou in the Wells book it was called ancient Hebden.  I now discover that section 1 and 4 of this coat of Arms on the tomb was the five lozenges of the Hebden’s of Hebden in Craven area of Wharfedale. Here was proof indeed, that in 1666 this family were using both the Hebdon and the Hebden coat of Arms.  I am not an artist but have tried to show these coats of Arms.  It would appear that here is the link between the two parts of the family.

There was no guide as to how to find Sir John Hebdon’s whereabouts, as the records at Wells gave no clue .  Neither was there any guide as to how Richard came to be buried there.  It seemed like a dead end, until a Letter from Stanley Hebdon of Liverpool came to hand, to say he thought there were oinks with the Hebdon’s at Tooting in London.  Also a street by there name.  I took time to visit this busy London area, and found myself on the trail again I found the street...Hebdon Road Tooting.  I then enquired for the oldest church, and found myself at the church of St Nicholas.  Tooting.  Make sure that this is the church you get to, if you visit this place. It is remarkable that Sir John who traded with Russia, should come to the church of St. Nicholas, who was the Russian Patron Saint.  The Hebdon’s were part of the nobility of the area, and were in Civic life.  As you enter the church in the entrance on the left hand side is a board on the wall to Sir John (name again spelt wrong) giving all the details that were suppose in the ‘Wells book... no doubt that it was the same nan, gave all the his six children, including Richard is buried at Wells.  The vicar of Tooting graciously received my wife and me, and brought to light the ancient records which gave a most interesting account of the family, and the life of the times.  You can get a copy of this via your library they will borrow it for you.  Do read the accounts.  History of Tooting-Graveney.  It is full of interest.  Of the six children, the eldest took over from his father and erected the tombs in Wells to his other brother.  There were four girl.  One married into the Dymoke family ( the Dymoke’s were the sovereigns champions, who did battle in place of the sovereign. They hold that distinction to this day. Another married into the Tempest Vane family.    (His letter stops here)



Copy of letter included in packet sent to DeWard Hebdon

15 Nailcote Ave.
Tile Hill
Coventry CV4
26 February 1985

Dear Cyril,
Peter has sent me the enclosed from Floyd Hebdon who works at the Genealogical Part of the Mormon Church in Salt Lake City, who is clearly a second cousin once removed of yourfs.  There is an address on it but no zip code and I have asked Peter to let me have one in case you would like to write to him.
The story that James Ritter Hebdon had been converted to Mormonism before he emegrated, that he emigrated with his first wife, Ann Usher and their two children but she died on the voyage and her two children after the ship arrived in New York in August 1866. (The Emerals Isle) He remarried over there and one can see the family gradually moving westward.  There must be many other children and grand children etc. from this family and I will see if Peter has any details.
Have a happy Holidays Yours sincerely John H.

This is a copy of most of the material from Cyril Hebdon to my father Truman DeWard Hebdon.

No comments:

Post a Comment