Thursday, April 19, 2012




Zera PULSIPHER


Organization of President Young's Company.

Wednesday, 31.—On the 31st the organization was commenced by appointing Zera Pulsipher, one of the First Seven Presidents of Seventies from 1838 to 1862, was born June 24, 1789, in Rockingham, Windham county, Vermont. In his youth he served in the wars of his country and heard the fulness of the gospel preached in the State of New York. He was baptized and ordained to the ministry in January, 1832, after which he traveled and preached extensively through the Eastern States and Canada. Among those baptized by him was the late Pres. Wilford Woodruff. He removed to Kirtland, Ohio, in 1835. When the bulk of the Saints removed from Ohio, to Missouri in the famous Kirtland Camp, in 1838, Elder  was one of the commissioners appointed to lead said camp, having previously (March 6, 1838) been ordained and set apart as one of the First Seven Presidents of Seventies, under the hands of Joseph Young and James Foster. After passing through the Missouri persecutions, he became a resident of Nauvoo, and is mentioned in the famous revelation given through the Prophet Joseph Jan. 19, 1841. After the exodus of the Saints from Illinois, he shared in all the hardships endured by his people on the plains and mountains and arrived in Great Salt Lake valley in 1847 or 1848. For twenty-four years after that he was a resident of the valleys of Utah, and thoroughly learned the hardship of pioneer life. He transcended the bounds of the Priesthood in the ordinance of sealing, for which he was cited to appear before the First Presidency of the Church April 12, 1862. It was there voted, that he be rebaptized, reconfirmed and ordained to the office of a High Priest, or go into the ranks of the Seventies. Subsequently he was ordained a Patriarch. Elder John Van Cott was chosen as his successor in the First Council of Seventies. Elder  was the father of seventeen children, eight of whom came to the mountains with him. At the time of his death, which occurred at Hebron, Washington county, Utah, Jan. 1, 1872, his posterity included 65 grandchildren and 37 great-grandchildren. He died as a member in full fellowship in the Church.
 (Andrew Jenson, Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia: A Compilation of Biographical Sketches of Prominent Men and Women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 4 vols. [Salt Lake Cit 194.) captain of a hundred with John Benbow and Daniel Wood captains of fifties; also, Lorenzo Snow captain of a hundred, with Heman Hyde and John Stoker captains of fifties. I gave some general instructions as to the necessity of observing order in camp—taking care of the cattle and not allowing them to be abused; not to have yelling nor bawling in camp; but to attend prayers—put out the fires and go to bed by 9 p.m.

Baptism OF Wilford Woodruff
Baptism. On the 29th day of December, 1833, there came to our home two elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They were  and Elijah Cheney. At the time of their appearance my brother Azmon and I were away from the house, engaged in our daily labors; but Azmon's wife received the elders kindly and gave them to understand we would be eager to hear them preach.

Upon my arrival home my sister-in-law informed me of the meeting. I immediately turned out my horses and started for the schoolhouse without waiting for supper. On my way I prayed most sincerely that the Lord would give me His spirit, and that if these men were the servants of God I might know it, and that my heart might be prepared to receive the divine message they had to deliver.

When I reached the place of meeting, I found the house already packed. My brother Azmon was there before I arrived. He was equally eager to hear what these men had to say. I crowded my way through the assembly and seated myself upon one of the writing desks where I could see and hear everything that took place.

Elder Pulsipher opened with prayer. He knelt down and asked the Lord in the name of Jesus Christ for what he wanted. His manner of prayer and the influence which went with it impressed me greatly. The Spirit of the Lord rested upon me and bore witness that he was a servant of God. After singing, he preached to the people for an hour and a half. He bore a strong testimony of the divine authenticity of the Book of Mormon and of the mission of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I believed all that he said. The Spirit bore witness of its truth.

I asked for baptism at the hands of the elders. On December 31st, 1833, there assembled at the water's edge, about 11 o'clock in the morning, a large number of people. I was baptized by Elder . At the same time my brother Azmon, and also two young ladies who had been healed the day before, were baptized. The snow was about three feet deep, the day was cold, and the water was mixed with ice and snow, yet I did not feel the cold.

A public meeting was held that night by candle-light and a large congregation assembled. After explaining to the people the ordinance of the laying on of hands, the elders confirmed my companions and me members of the Church. The Holy Ghost fell upon us and we had a time of great rejoicing. fn

Footnotes

1. Moses, 6:5-6, 8-14, 16.

2. Moses, 6:21-23.

3. Moses, 6:43-46.

4. Doc. Cov. 112:10; 12:8.

5. Discourses of Brigham Young, pp. 244-245, 316.

6. Helaman, 5:7.

7. Ms. Journal of President Woodruff; also Matthias F. Cowley: Wilford Woodruff, pp. 3-4, 33-35.


 Archibald F. Bennett, Saviors on Mount Zion [Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1950], 24.)

 Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols., introduction and notes by B. H. Roberts [Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1932-1951], 7: 625.)

No comments:

Post a Comment